One of the most common barriers to starting an exercise program is finding the time. Finding the time to properly warm-up before a work-out is often even more challenging. But, completing an effective pre-exercise 5-10 minute warm-up can have numerous benefits on an individual's work-out and consequently, his or her overall health.
Here are a few of the benefits of a gradual warm-up:
• More efficient calorie burning by increasing one's core body temperature
• Production of faster, more forceful muscle contractions
• Increase of metabolic rate so oxygen is delivered to the working muscles more quickly
• Prevention of injuries by improving the elasticity of the muscles
• Can comfortably perform longer work-outs because energy systems are able to adjust to exercise
• Improvement of joint range of motion
A safe and effective warm-up should consist of 2 phases:
• Progressive aerobic activity that utilizes the muscles that will be used during the workout (Just slow down what will done during the actual workout.)
• Flexibility exercises (Do this AFTER the aerobic warm-up activity.)
Taking a few extra minutes to warm-up will ensure a better performance and also make the work-out more efficient, productive and enjoyable.